My friend June over at Spatter tagged me with a meme: Six Guilty Pleasures. And it’s been kind of fun doing it. June herself wrote a great post on it here. Now, the truth is, I don’t feel near as guilty as I should when I do these things, but I’ll pretend I do. 🙂
Name six guilty pleasures no one would suspect you of having:
1. I buy Nestle’s Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels and Nestle’s Toll House Butterscotch Morsels regularly to make my children’s favorite oatmeal cookies to send to them at college. At least, that’s my premise for purchase. Truthfully, many of those morsels never make it into the cookies. Because I eat them. By the handful. No, make that plural. Handfuls. Both the chocolate and the butterscotch. I keep them in a small Tupperware container for easy, surreptitious access. The butterscotch ones are uncommonly good with peanut butter, which brings me to number two…
2. I love peanut butter. I mean, really, really love peanut butter. I’m a Jif girl, always have been. I eat peanut butter by the spoonful (but I don’t double dip!). We buy it in huge quantities—in those giant jars. Last time we went to Sam’s Club, we bought ten jars. Partly to give to our son Benjamin because he is nuts (no pun intended) about it, too, but really, I personally eat at least one of those jars every single week. If it weren’t for Nestle’s Morsels and peanut butter, I’d be thin and svelte.
3. And speaking of food, back when my children were small, sometimes when preparing their food, I’d be so hungry, I’d take a bite. Being the alert and clever children that they are, they’d usually notice and ask indignantly, “Who took that bite?” I invented a story about a greedy kitchen rat named Raggedy Rat who would always take a bite of something when I turned my back. “Darn that Raggedy Rat!” I’d exclaim. I always thought they’d bought my story until they told me years later that they were always onto me. They never were easy to fool, though Lord knows I tried.
4. Regular readers of my blog may remember my “googly eyes” post . If you’re new to my blog, I’ll wait while you go read it. No, really, I don’t mind. Go ahead.
*goes to kitchen to find some morsels*
*eats a spoonful of peanut butter*
I’m back. Did you read it? Well, here’s my new guilty pleasure. Sometimes, I put googly eyes on fruits and vegetables at the grocery store. It doesn’t do any harm (they peel right off) and I know it makes people laugh because I’ve loitered around to see reactions.
5. I love to eavesdrop. I don’t mean I lurk in closets or behind bushes to overhear private conversations. I mean, I love to sit in a public place and listen to conversations. I would much rather listen to people talk than to talk myself, which you probably don’t believe due to the fact that I do seem to ramble on at some length in my posts. Trust me; I’m really very shy and quiet.
6. When I say I love books, I don’t just mean I love to read, though I do. I do get a lot of books from the library, but on the happy occasions when I buy or receive a brand new book, I take enormous sensuous pleasure in the newness of that book. I inhale that new book smell, I run my fingers across the cover (I particularly love it when the cover has dimension), and I even relish the sound of pages ruffling and the little puff of air when you ruffle them. Yeah, I know that a little weird. But it’s the truth.
My goodness, how embarrassing. I’ve rambled on so long that I’ll have to post Part Two tomorrow, Six Guilty Pleasures You Wish You Had the Courage to Indulge. Not that you’d be interested. But if you are…